Stuck on a Caribbean Island between Christmas and New Year’s with no access to local high school basketball scores is generally no way for me to spend a week during the season. But finding a spot where the temperature is 82 degrees instead of 32 degrees is the trade-off, one I made early in the fall when I booked the trip.
Trying to piece together the results of various Christmas and Holiday tournaments into a cohesive and informative column is difficult at best; the Washington Post carries most game results, but only what they get in from the coaches, and since the Gazette is a once-a-week publication they are slightly behind despite covering some games online. So as we turn the page from 2009 to 2010 and look forward to the restart of the regular season, several results from the end of the year bear review before I get to my rankings and schedule.
- Springbrook’s 41-game winning streak is over as they lost to Thomas Stone, 64-46, in the finals of the Roberts Oxygen Tournament. Prior to the championship game, Poolesville gave the Blue Devils all they could handle, losing 46-42. I’m not nearly ready to punish Springbrook yet, but vunerability and even more important, invincibility, is evident. And hey: kudos to Coach Tom Lang and his Poolesville squad.
- The Montgomery County/Howard County Challenge was a rout for MOCO, as the championship game pitted Richard Montgomery against Paint Branch. RM eked out a 53-50 win, and both teams will be ready to go starting tomorrow.
- The Montgomery County/Frederick County Challenge was not as successful for MOCO. The tournament, a brainchild of Quince Orchard coach Paul Foringer, consists of three teams each from Montgomery (Quince Orchard, Damascus and B-CC) and Frederick (Linganore, Tuscarora and Frederick), only QO could come up with a winning record, falling only to Tuscarora.
So without knowing all the scores and all the results, I have no reason at this point to change my Bastow Best-Ten from before the snow, holidays, and a trip to an island, interrupted my coverage. Next week will tell the tale, but until that point, here is the review of the Top Ten.
- Springbrook: Next Game: At Magruder
- Blake: Next Game: At Einstein
- Whitman: Next Game: Home vs Wootton
- Richard Montgomery: Next Game: Home vs Walter Johnson
- Quince Orchard: Next Game: Home vs Seneca Valley
- Northwest: Next Game: Home vs Paint Branch
- Clarksburg: Next Game: At Poolesville
- Paint Branch: Next Game: At Northwest
- Poolesville: Next Game: Home vs Clarksburg
- Wheaton: Next Game: Home vs Kennedy