This recipe will wow your friends and is delicious. Cheesy Sunday dinner potatoes or Mashed red potatoes with garlic would be great side dishes.
You can get fresh ingredients for this dish and more at the Lexington Farmer’s Market. It is a unique farmer’s market, in that it is open indoors in the cold winter months. Starting in April it moves outdoors. Currently the market is open Saturdays 8:00 AM till1:00 PM at the atrium of Victorian Square.
This farmer’s market has meat, fresh seasonal produce, herbs, spices, honey, bread, cheese and fresh flowers. Everything is fresh from Kentucky, so you can feel good knowing you are supporting local farms and business.
There is lots of delicious poultry seasoning in the following recipe. Poultry seasoning is filled with thyme, sage, rosemary, nutmeg and more. It is delicious and a great spice blend to have on hand.
The best kind of poultry seasoning to use in this recipe is the kind that is ground, not the kind with the whole dried herbs. McCormick has one that would be wonderful. Enjoy!
Chicken stuffed with bacon and apples
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
5 strips of bacon, chopped into small pieces
1/2 tablespoon, plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 sweet yellow onion, chopped into small pieces
2 small apples or 1 large, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 teaspoon pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/3 cup chicken broth
1. Place the chicken on waxed paper or a large cutting board. With a sharp knife cut a pocket in the side or middle of the chicken breast. Make sure not to cut all of the way through the chicken breast. Season the top side of the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
2. In a large pan cook the bacon till crisp. Set aside. Drain the bacon fat from the pan. Place 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in the pan. Place the garlic. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add the onions and apples. Cook 5-8 minutes, or until the apples are slightly soft. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Stir in the bacon. Move to a plate and let cool.
3. With a teaspoon fill the pockets of the chicken breasts with the stuffing. In each chicken breast place around 2 teaspoons of the filling. Set the remaining filling aside.
4. In the same pan heat the remaining olive oil. Place the chicken breasts, seasoned side down in the pan. Season the side that has not been seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook 5-8 minutes and flip. Cook 5 minutes on the other side. Set cooked chicken aside.
5. In the same pan add the remaining filling. Pour in the chicken broth. Season with 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer 2 minutes. Pour over the chicken and serve. Serves 4. Enjoy!