Do you buy deli meat or do you make it yourself? Kim prefers making her own. There are some great sales on ham and turkeys at the local grocery stores. Why? Make your own. You can control the salt and sugar content. Plus, it tastes much better than deli meat.
How do you Roast a Turkey?
A. People have their own way of doing things: Kim’s not saying, do it her way or it’s wrong, far from it. This is what she chooses to do when she going to Roast a Turkey.
1. First unthaw it a day or two ahead of time in the refrigerator, depending upon the size of the turkey.
2. Scrub the turkey with water only, take out the giblets and neck, pat the turkey dry, inside and outside
3. In a small bowl: a half a soft stick of butter,1 tsp. rosemary,1 tsp. thyme, 2 tsp. poultry seasoning, ½ tsp. salt, and ¼ tsp. pepper in a bowl and mix it together thoroughly.
4. take the turkey skin by the beast bone pull it up slightly, take your other hand and grab a handful of the butter mixture and rub it on the breast meat under the skin, then rub it all over the turkey including the inside.
5. Make shallow diagonal slits on top of the breast of the turkey with a knife, put garlic cloves in the slits.
6. Some people put their dressing/ stuffing inside their turkey, some don’t she’s done it both ways.
7. Add some water in the bottom of the roasting pan.
8. Top with foil, so the top doesn’t get too done too quickly.
9. Baste the turkey with the juices in the bottom of the pan, every hour to hour and 30 minute. Using gravy ladle or pastry brush.
10. Bake the turkey for all long as it says on the package it came in. Sometimes, they are wrong, so check your turkey every so often for doneness. No pinkness of the turkey meat.
11. To make Gravy: When the turkey is done take some of the drippings from the bottom of the roasting pan, put it in a saucepan, with the gravy packet that comes with giblets and neck ,add the amount of water it says on the packet, splash of milk, 2 tsp. poultry seasoning, 1tsp. rosemary, 1tsp. thyme, ¼ tsp. pepper. In a separate small bowl: add a ¼ cup very cold water and 2 tblsp of corn starch mix well together. Put cornstarch mixture in with drippings, seasonings and gravy packet, Whisk it together bring up to a boil and then a simmer.
12. To serve: slice turkey meat from bones, place turkey slices on a platter, for a nice sit-down dinner. Sandwiches: place turkey slices on buns,add veggies and add condiments.