As one of your New Years Decorating Resolutions (NYDR), an easy, yet useful project to add to your calendar of things-to-do would be to get creative with a new way to display your spices. Spices in the kitchen are items that we use almost daily. Many of us have a hand-full of staple spices that we use, and would probably use more if we could just find them and get to them more easily.
Making your spices more accessible while cooking makes perfect sense and it surely won’t hurt to add a new decorative accent to your kitchen’s décor that will not only look great, but serve as a functional and time saving solution for displaying and making your spices more accessible for a pinch of this and a dash of that.
Don’t miss the SLIDESHOW below for ideas that may spark your interest.
1. Measure the space that you have in mind for displaying your spices on your counter top. Don’t forget to not only measure the width, but the height will also be an important factor. If you have wall space near the area you want the spices to be displayed, measure that also, as that could be an option for you as well.
2. Take note of your décor in the room, refreshing your mind about the accent colors you are using, types of woods and style of décor. This memory refresher will help in your selection process. If you want your spice rack to coordinate with an accent color that you are currently using, take an item with you when you go shopping, such as a placemat or other item that has that color in it.
3. Go to your favorite home goods store (Target has a great selection of display shelves and cabinets), or search online for other creative display options. Don’t forget to check out the bathroom display cabinets which would be a fabulous option. There are usually many choices available in different colors, sizes and styles, from Contemporary to more Traditional. Keep in mind that most of the shelves that you find could be set directly on your counter top, as well as be hung nearby if that is a possibility.
4. Keep an eye out for spice display possibilities when you go to garage or estate sales.
5. While looking at the options that are available, evaluate your needs for the spices that you readily use. Choose the size and design, according to your needs. Do you need different heights of shelves, how many spices will you want to display, etc.
6. Try to think “outside of the box” when browsing your selections. You may find the perfect size and style, but the color is not red, black or whatever your favorite accent color is. If you are ‘reality’ shopping, this is where your color sample comes in handy. After having found just the right display piece, go to the paint department next and choose the perfect color to paint it with.
INTERIOR DESIGN GLOSSARY