By Inga Aksamit, Inga’s Adventures
Ski vacations don’t have to be for the rich and famous. With a little research and planning a ski weekend in Tahoe doesn’t have to break the bank.
A couple of lodging newcomers have come on the scene this season in different locations around the lake. If you’re looking for a comfortable place to sleep after a full day on the slopes, rather than a luxurious destination resort, deals can be found.
Truckee Tahoe Lodge, Truckee
Larkspur Hotels & Restaurants, a Bay Area-based company, just announced the renovation of the Truckee Tahoe Lodge in downtown Truckee, with rates starting at just $109/night. A Best Western affiliate, the Truckee Tahoe Lodge is located in the historic town of Truckee in the High Sierra. “From the avid skier looking for a weekend escape, to families seeking summer activities in the mountains, the Truckee Tahoe Lodge is an affordable getaway for all outdoor enthusiasts,” says Chairman Karl Hoagland. The lodge offers 100 guest rooms, all freshly renovated with comfortable FeatherBorne® Beds, free parking, free wireless internet, pool, sauna and exercise facility. In addition the lodge is pet-friendly and 100% non-smoking. Common areas and guest rooms are decorated in a Western theme with cow hides, slate, wagon wheels and cowboy hat hooks.
The adjacent Mountain Burrito Company offers hearty Mexican fare to take the edge off the vigorous appetites that can be generated after a full day of sliding on the snow.
Pepper Tree Inn, Tahoe City
The Pepper Tree Inn is located in the center of Tahoe City, directly across from Lake Tahoe, and offers spectacular lake views. The tallest building in Tahoe City, the seven-story inn has been a landmark of Tahoe City for many years. Renovated in the summer of 2003 the inn features a comfortable mountain home theme. Complimentary outdoor parking is available. Rates start at $107, with lift/lodging packages available.
The inn is ideally located to access shops and restaurants, including the iconic Rosies for a casual bite to eat, Wolfdales for fine dining and Jakes on the Lake for panoramic lake views. Shuttles to and from ski areas are available in front of the property.
Lakeland Village, South Lake Tahoe
Aston, a well known chain in Hawaii, branched out this year by opening the Lakeland Village condominium resort fronting the south shore of Lake Tahoe. This all-season resort features one to five-bedroom accommodations, a private sandy beach with a pier and boat moorings, outdoor heated pools, a kid’s wading pool, two hot tubs, a sauna, fitness facility, tennis courts, beachside bistro, winter deluxe continental breakfast, ski shop. Rates start at $117, with lift/lodging packages available.
Nestled on 19 acres of wooded lands, Lakeland Village offers complimentary shuttle service to Heavenly Mountain Resort and Lake Tahoe casinos, restaurants, gondolas, ski/snowboard resorts, attractions and shopping.
To reach North Lake Tahoe from San Francisco by car (approximately 4 hours, depending on traffic and weather):
• Take Interstate 80 east (stay on 80 through Sacramento).
• To reach Truckee Tahoe Lodge, exit 80 at the Hwy 267 by-pass (exit 188B) in the direction of Lake Tahoe South. At the ramp traffic light turn right and proceed over the bridge. Make a right turn at the next traffic light and you will arrive at the Inn just one block down on your right side.
• To reach the Pepper Tree Inn, exit 80 at Truckee onto Highway 89 south following signs to Lake Tahoe/Tahoe City. Stay to the left at the fork in the road in Tahoe City.Drive a half a mile to the Pepper Tree Inn on the left
To reach South Lake Tahoe San Francisco by car (approximately 4 hours, depending on traffic and weather):
• Take Interstate 80 northeast to Sacramento, then transition to U.S. 50.
• Take U.S. 50 East over Echo Summit to the junction of Hwy 89 and U.S 50.
• To reach Lakeland Village, bear right to continue on U.S. 50. Continue approximately 4 miles to Lakeland Village, which is located on the left (lake) side of the road. Turn left and follow signs to the lodge.
Truckee Tahoe Lodge
11331 Brockway Road
Truckee, CA 96161
Pepper Tree Inn
645 N. Lake Boulevard
Tahoe City, California 96145
3535 Lake Tahoe Blvd.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150