The world’s tallest building, the 1.5 billion dollar, 2,717 foot tall, 200 story, Burj Khalifa Bin Zayed Tower has finally opened. Construction began on the tower in September 2004. The tower is part of a 490 acre complex in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Here are some of the other records this building now owns:
- Tallest skyscraper to top of spire: 828 m (2,717 ft) (previously Taipei 101 – 509.2 m (1,671 ft))
- Tallest structure ever built: 828 m (2,717 ft) (previously Warsaw radio mast – 646.38 m (2,121 ft))
- Tallest freestanding structure: 828 m (2,717 ft) (previously CN Tower – 553.3 m (1,815 ft))
- Building with most floors: 160 (previously both 1 and 2 World Trade Center – 110)
- World’s highest elevator installation
- World’s fastest elevators at speed of 64 km/h (40 mph) or 18 m/s (59 ft/s) (previously Taipei 101 – 16.83 m/s)
- Highest outdoor observation deck in the world
- Elevator with the longest travel distance in the world
- World’s highest installation of an aluminium and glass façade, at a height of 512 m (1,680 ft)
But Burj Khalifa Tower is an ant hill compared to the true champ — the Tower of Babel.
The Book of Jubilees, chapter 10, verse 21 says
And they built it: forty and three years [1645-1688 A.M.] were they building it; its breadth was 203 bricks, and the height (of a brick) was the third of one; its height amounted to 5433 cubits and 2 palms, and (the extent of one wall was) thirteen stades (and of the other thirty stades).
In Ancient Israel, a cubit would be approximately 16.85 inches. So the height of the Tower of Babel was:
5433 cubits X 16.85 inches/cubit X (1 foot/12 inches) X 1 mile/5280 feet = 1.44 miles
This is more than 2.8 times as high as the Burj Khalifa Tower. But let’s not take anything away from the City of Dubai and the brilliant bankers and financiers who made this possible. Here are some other amazing facts about Dubai’s new tower:
- It is as tall as 534,492 pennies
- Its $1.5 billion price tag can fill the tanks of 2 million Toyota Corollas twice and still have some change left over.
- The Towers elevator travels only 9 miles per hour slower than Amtrak’s New York to Charlottesville train
- The area of the complex has room enough for 7114 family homes built on 100’x30′ foot lot.
The Burj Khalifa Tower is true a wonder of engineering and chutzpah. Let’ts hope that the developers and bankers who put together this project have an easier time with their finances than the millions of Americans struggling in this economy to make their mortgage payments each month.