In 1970 I was learning to be a nuclear engineer. The image to the right is an example of some of the language spoken at the time. Then someone gave me a piece of paper with a recipe scribbled on it. This was the beginning of the language I now speak. Both seemed incomprehensible at the time. Nuclear became uNclear. After deciphering the beer recipe below I was on a path that made sense to me.
Here’s the week’s aerochug.com’s beer news in review:
- Ann Arbor Craft Beer Examiner, Joshua Kay: Beer review: Kuhnhenn Mayhem, Local brew review: Arbor Brewing Co. Olde Number 22 Alt Bier
- Augusta, Georgia Craft Beer Examiner, Lonnie Best: Aiken Brewing Company’s celebratory Barleywine release February 12th, Avery Mephistopheles’ Stout 2009 (Review), RJ Rockers Bell Ringer available in select Augusta restaurants and bars, Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary website live, Wine World beer tasting postponed; Aiken Brewing’s Barleywine on tap
- Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner, Guillermo Woolfolk: Bear Republic and Central City Fighting Over Name Confusion (UPDATED), Beer Review: Great Divide Old Ruffian Barleywine, Help Legalize Homebrew in Alabama with SB153, The J. Clyde Earns Another Honor
- Boston Craft Beer Examiner, Michael Oxton: Extreme Beer Fest beer lineup posted
- Carbondale Craft Beer Examiner, Marika Josephson: Charleville barleywine vertical tasting, Thursday Tastings: Lagunitas Brown Shugga’ Ale, Grocery stores petition to sell liquor in Carbondale, Friday Forks: Brown Shugga’ Pork with Roasted Cauliflower
- Chicago Craft Beer Examiner, Mark McDermott: Beer and container review: Newcastle Brown Ale DraughtKeg, Chicago area craft beer calendar, February 8 – 15, Craft beer review: Barley Island Dirty Helen Brown Ale, Craft beer review: Abita Abbey Ale
- Chicago Craft Beer Examiner, Marty Nachel: Binny’s in Algonquin to host “Winter, Dessert and Extreme Beer” tasting, Goose Island introduces new Green Line brews, Brixie’s Saloon announces special Febrewary tappings, Delilah’s to host Beer Fest Febrewary 13th, I Wish Lessons to host tasting of complex beers at Jak’s Tap, Belgian beer brunch at The Tribes Alehouse
- Colorado Springs Craft Beer Examiner, Eli Shayotovich: Bristol brings the beer bounty, Have some firkin fun at Trinity
- Dallas Craft Beer Examiner, Paul Hightower: Continuing a good thing: Shiner 101, Super Bowl of Beer: DFW Edition, Too much snow, too few brewpubs
- Denver Craft Beer Examiner, Rick Blankemeier: (Beer) lovers gather at the West End Tavern on V-day, Beer and bone health, Colorado craft brewers rally against their beer on convenience store shelves, Twisted Pine introduces Hoppy Man Imperial IPA, Time to fill out your brackets, the National IPA Challenge is here
- LA Craft Beer Examiner, Chris Spradley: Russian River Pliny the Younger being tapped in Los Angeles!
- Madison Hops Examiner, Matt Sweeny: Midwest hop farming grant funds awarded, Hops growing business 2007 shortage revisited
- NY Beer Pairing Examiner, Elizabeth Willse: Go Saints! New Orleans Beer and Improvised Dirty Rice for the Superbowl, Six Point Tasting at Whole Foods Beer Room, The Right Beer for the Worst Date Ever, Turkey legs Carbonnade with Ithaca Cold Front Beer, Get a little Sweet Action on Valentine’s Day, Welcome the Chinese Year of the Tiger with Six Point’s Bengali Tiger IPA
- Oklahoma City Craft Beer Examiner, Gary Lott: Edmond’s Old Chicago hosts a beer party
- Queens Craft Beer Examiner, Bryan Yurcan: A taste of Belgium, part 3, Astoria beer event
- Sacramento Craft Beer Examiner, David Teckam: Bigfoot vertical tasting
- Santa Rosa Craft Beer Examiner, Mario Rubio: SF Beer Week: Monday, February 8th & 9th
- SF Beer Pairing Examiner, Chuck Lenatti: Rosamunde Sausage stretches out in The Mission, San Francisco Beer Week Friday, San Francisco Beer Week Monday, San Francisco Beer Week Saturday, San Francisco Beer Week Thursday, San Francisco Beer Week Tuesday, San Francisco Beer Week Wednesday, Super Bowl XLIV meets SF Beer Week II, Homebrew Chef beer dinner for SFBW, Feb. 11
- SF Craft Beer Examiner, Brian Yaeger: B-Double E-Double R-U-N (Sat. Feb 13, 11 a.m. at Magnolia)
- St. Petersburg Craft Beer Examiner, Sean Nordquist: Willard’s Tap House opens in Largo
Photo above right: Get your kit together. Warning: Homebrewing is contagious, but makes any season seem pleasant. Start your spring seasonal brews now for beer enjoyment and green grass. Photo courtesy the American Homebrewers Association.
Charlie Twitters at twitter.com/CharliePapazian