Macchia Winery in Lodi provided the following Fun Wine Facts:
- One Grape cluster = One glass of wine
- 75 grapes = One cluster
- 4 cluster = One bottle
- 40 cluster = One vine
- One vine = 10 bottles
- 1200 clusters = One barrel
- One barrel = 60 gallons
- 60 gallons = 25 cases
- 30 vines = One barrel
- 400 vines = One acre
- One acre = Five tons
- Five tons = 332 cases
- One barrel of wine equals 20 cases, which equals 1200 glasses.
- A ton of grapes makes about 720 bottles of wine, or 60 cases.
- One vine annually produces between four and six bottles of wine, or between 20 and 30 glasses.
- Each bottle of wine contains about 2.8 pounds of grapes. That means each five-ounce glass of wine contains a little over half a pound of grapes.
- There are 35 to 60 clusters of grapes per vine.
- One acre of land is home to between 450 and 600 vines.
- If California were nation it would be the fourth leading wine producing country in the world — after France, Italy, and Spain in that order.
- There are approximately 850 wineries in California. Roughly half of these sell less than 5,000 cases per year.
* Facts are based on estimates. Exact figures may vary based on yields, planting widths, age of vines and wine grape variety among other factors.
For other factual information about California Wine, check out the following articles printed this week by Wine Examiners in California.
Northern California Wine Examiner Julia Hollister presented a story about Agent of Change Wines, whose mission statement, “Drink Good Wine, Do Good Works” provides 50% of their profits to community-based organizations that deliver health care to uninsured and underinsured workers in the wine industry.
San Diego Wine Shopping Examiner Bill Eyer reviewed wines from Bonny Doon Vineyard, including their 2005 Bonny Doon Le Cigare Volant.
San Jose Wine Examiner Steve Ferree told you about Testarossa Winery with their fine selection of Pinot Noir and invited you to join in one of their Grand Old Winery tours of the historic Novitiate Winery facility above Los Gatos.
Santa Cruz Wine Examiners June Smith and Jerry Starr invited you in this New Year to resolve to attend some of Santa Cruz Mountain regions events including the Annual Wine and Crab Taste-Off on Sunday, January 17 and the Winter Passport Saturday on January 16.
More About: Wine Examiners in Review
Don’t miss other news and articles about your local wineries and subscribe to the California Wine Examiner.
Reach the California Wine Examiner at: