Co founders Mike Iaconelli & Pete Glusak with host Kent Brown bring the Bass University with FLW & Bassmaster pro anglers Ish Monroe, Gary Dobyns, Jay Yelas, and Brent Ehrler to the west coast for California Delta fishermen.
The Bass University caught Delta fishermen with its one and only west coast appearance. Mike Iaconelli had previously teamed up with Kent Brown, host of Ultimate Bass Radio to fish the California Delta in an episode of “City Limits Fishing”.
Anglers that saw that episode came away with an important tip… “No bananas on the boat”, but bass fishermen that attended Iaconelli’s Bass University came away with a whole lot more than the “no banana” tip.
If you thought a “french fry” was from Mickey D’s, a “wet noodle” was a bad prank from your high school days or a “flea flicker” only went down on the football field, this was the place for you.
The Bass University, two day seminar founded by Iaconelli and fellow bass pro, Pete Glusak was developed for “serious bass fishing enthusiasts who want to go to the next level”.
Pro anglers that have fished coast to coast, including many that have found ultimate success right here in the west, were brought in to teach the bass anglers lucky enough to be at Bass U.
They shared tips and tricks that increased their own personal success and humorous personal stories that kept the action going. Iaconelli even knocked out his imitation of a plastic craw bait…very realistic.
The seminars were a wealth of encyclopedic information from top to bottom, with all the ins and outs on each subject.
Especially impressive was the in-depth coverage Glusak provided on dissecting a new body of water or reinventing yourself on an old one.
This more than anything seemed a detail that could separate the pro from the weekend or club fisherman. Glusak really stressed the work one does before ever even rigging a pole.
Each day ended with a round table. An event that Kent Brown explained came forth while watching an episode of Jerry Springer. In the spirit of talk show interrogation, the pros were gathered together on stage while the audience members where given the mic to question the group of speakers.
The Roundtable was comparable to watching a Goggle search being acted out live. Any audience query to the panel would provide a lengthy list of results, as each of the pros were given the chance to offer their version of the answer to the question. This allowed the possibility for a wide variety of information to be added to a fisherman’s arsenal of knowledge.
Thanks to Mike and the guys for bringing this opportunity to the Delta.
More information on the University instructors and host is below:
Top Row: Brent Ehrler, Gary Dobyns, Pete Glusak Bottom Row: Ish Monroe, Kent Brown, Jay Yelas
- Brent Ehrler is a California pro that has wrapped up over a million dollars in career earnings from FLW events, and rose to second in the FLW Western Series Angler of the Year points for 2009.
- 2009 US Open Champion, Gary Dobyns, is the winner of dozens of boats and holder of the Big Bass Award for the FLW American Stren Series for a 9 lb 5 oz largemouth on Clearlake, CA.
- Pete Glusak a two time Bassmaster Classic qualifier, and a FLW Stren Series Champion at several locations, with the accomplishment of “Most tournament Wins” and “Leading Money Winner” in the Northern Division.
- Ish Monroe a local pro with huge California Delta wins including the 2008 crown for first in the $1 million Walmart FLW Series National Guard West Delta location and again in 2009 repeating a Delta conquest with a runaway win of biggest bag all days of the FLW Stren Western Division.
- Jay Yelas has fished his way to 14 Top Ten finishes in FLW tournaments, a Bassmaster Classic Championship and Angler of the Year, and to a two time FLW Angler of the Year.
- Kent Brown host of Ultimate Bass Radio and Ultimate Bass University has two Top Ten finishes on the Delta under his FLW belt and speaking of belts, Kent was crowned and holds the belt for the Heavyweight Bass Classic champ of 2009.
- Mike Iaconelli is also a Bassmaster Angler of the Year, Bassmaster Classic Champion in 2003 and runner up in 2009, holder of three first place finishes in the FLW, TV host of “City Limits Fishing” and quite the plastic craw impressionist.
Visit the website to find out when The Bass University will make a stop near you
Did you enjoy this article? If so, please click on the subscribe button above. You are also invited to post your comments below.