The Haiti earthquake victims are receiving donations from people all over the world, including some big money donations from lawyers and law firms. Some of the nation’s largest law firms are aggressively donating and/or raising money to assist in the Haiti earthquake victims relief effort. Even before American Bar Association (ABA) President Carolyn B. Lamm called on attorneys to step forward and help, many law firms had already opened their wallets in support of the agencies helping the people of Haiti.
Some of the big donors, and the projects they are supporting, are listed below.
- Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP: The Sonnenschein firm is using their casual Friday policy to raise money from their employees. Anyone at the firm who wants to wear jeans to work on Friday must donate a minimum of $5 to the Rural Haiti Project. One of the law firm’s associates, Robin J. Boucard is a board member and a co-founder of the organization.
- Holland & Knight LLP: Much like the Sonnenschein fundraising method, the the firm of Holland & Knight will hold a “Casual Day for a Cause” to benefit the victims of the Haiti earthquake. Through the Holland & Knight Charitable Foundation, the firm will match individual contributions up to $100,000 and donate it to the American Red Cross.
- DLA Piper: DLA Piper is holding “denim days” at their offices, where employees can wear jeans to work in exchange for a $5 minimum donation to the Haiti relief efforts.
- Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP: The Paul Hastings firm is assisting the Haiti earthquake victims by donating $100,000 to Doctors Without Borders.
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP: The The Skadden firm is making a donation of $100,000 to Haitian relief agencies, consisting of an initial donation and then a matching donation for each of their employee contributions of up to $500.
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP: The law firm of Kirkland & Ellis, LLP, through their Kirkland & Ellis LLP Foundation, have donated $100,000 to the American Red Cross and to a Haitian orphanage called Grace House of Hope for Girls. The orphanage was destroyed in the earthquake.
- Morrison & Foerster LLP: Morrison & Foerster, through their Morrison & Foerster Foundation, will match donations to any Haiti earthquake relief effort made by their staff or attorneys up to a combined total of $10,000.
- Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius LLP: Morgan Lewis is matching employee contributions to the American Red Cross for up to a total of $100,000.
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP: Weil Gotshal is making an immediate donation of $100,000 divided among the American Red Cross, Save the Children, and Oxfam. Additionally, the firm is conducting an internal fundraising drive which they expect to generate over $200,000 in overall contributions.
- Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP: Dewey & LeBoeuf is donating $100,000 to the Haiti relief efforts, dividing their contribution among the American Red Cross, The Center of Hope – Haiti, Doctors Without Borders, and the International Committee of the Red Cross.
- Hogan & Hartson LLP: Hogan & Hartson will provide matching funds of up to $100,000 to match employee contributions to the American Red Cross.
- Latham & Watkins LLP: Latham & Watkins will provide up to $200,000 in matching funds to employees who make donations to the American Red Cross, the Haiti Relief and Development Fund, Doctors Without Borders, Partners in Health, CARE, and World Vision.
- Venable LLP: The Venable Foundation is donating $30,000 to the Haiti relief efforts.
- Akin, Gump, Strauss, Hauer & Feld LLP: Akin Gump is donating $25,000 to the American Red Cross, $25,000 to Mercy Corps, and matching employee contributions up to $50,000.
Do you know of other law firm donations? Or of any other Haiti relief agencies not listed below? If so, please post them in the comments section so they can be added to this list.
For more info:
Paul Hastings Helps Out Haitians
Kirkland & Ellis LLP Contributes Initial $100,000 to Haiti Earthquake Relief Efforts
ABA Pres Calls for Haiti Donations After ‘Heartbreaking’ Quake; BigLaw Gives Big Money
Big Law Stepping Up on Haiti Aid
Missionary’s email describes damage to Haiti orphanage
Weil Gotshal Responds to Earthquake Devastation in Haiti
How the Legal Community is Helping in Haiti
Am Law firms join Haiti relief effort
To make a donation, please support any of the following:
Rural Haiti Project
American Red Cross
International Committee of the Red Cross
Doctors Without Borders
The Center of Hope – Haiti
United Nations Childrens Fund
Healing Hands For Haiti
Partners In Health