We all know that money is pouring into Haiti, a super poor country – in fact one of the poorest in the world. We have been asked to send money – whether it is $1.00 or $250,000, which is the amount Madonna gave. Given the powerful new earthquake that just happened even more money will be needed.
Let’s look at a few ways we can help financially without sending clothes, which they have asked us not to send.
1. Get the kids in your neighbor (and/or adults) to have a car wash. I know it is cold in a lot of states but kids can withstand the cold and when people see that they get something for their money and for a great cause they may stop and get their cars washed. Here in MA with all the snow we all really need to get our cars washed. The act of car washing is physical. Not only will you get a cardio workout from running back and forth but you will be using all the muscles in your body.
2. If you haven’t joined a gym by now for the New Year, then do so and ask the owner if he or she (or they) will put a percentage of the profits for a week (or perhaps 1/2 of any new member’s fee) to Haiti.
3. Go to the mom and pop health store in your area, such as Healthy Appetites, and ask if they will share a percentage of their profit for the week or month. While there stop and buy a few items that you have never tried.
4.Sanctuary Yoga in Plymouth, MA has a scholarship fund for those who cannot afford classes or to help pay for classes. Ask the owner of a similar studio in your town or city if she or he will take a portion of the scholarship fund and donate it to Haiti. While you are there ask for a one time free yoga class.
5. Is there a sports store in town that is going out of business? It may not matter to them if a week’s worth of inventory that they are selling at clearance price goes to a good cause. It doesn’t hurt to ask! Olympia Sports in Plymouth, MA is going out of business.
6. Organize a walk/run to raise money. If each of your friends (Let’s say 10 including you..) gets $30.00 worth of donations that’s $300.00. You just need $5.00 from six people. That’s not an overwhelming task.
7. Don’t eat red meat this week or anything white (rice, bread, potatoes) and send the money you have saved to help Haiti.
This article at Huffington Post will put you in the right direction for donations.
Haiti’s motto: L’union fait la force — Unity is strength.