Don’t homeschoolers miss out on all the great high school activities, such as going to the Prom?
This is one of the ever present questions that comes shortly after, “Is homeschooling legal?” and “What will you do about socialization?” The asker usually hasn’t realized that homeschooling families are very creative, and very determined, and if there is a legitimate void in the home education experience, it is quickly filled by enterprising parents.
There has been a homeschool prom in the Phoenix area consistently for the last ten years. (In fact, I was on the committee ten years ago.) For the past several years, Moezart Productions, a homeschool drama group has sponsored the event, and this year, they are continuing the tradition. Additionally, there is a second prom opportunity sponsored by Arizona HEAT, homeschool athletic program.
A Night in Disguise
Sponsored by MoezartProductions
April 16, 2010 from 5:30-11:45 PM
at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
7677 N. 16th Street w Phoenix, AZ 85020
Arrive in mask for A Night in Disguise. While you visit your friends, secret judges will observe your mask designs and two masked individuals will be selected as their favorites. Ideal Photography will capture your likeness in two elegant photo ops. Enter the luxuriously decorated dining room, where you will be delighted by an exquisite meal. Once dinner has begun, the judges’ two favorite masked individuals will be awarded with dinner and movie gift cards. Dancing and dessert will follow as you enjoy the rest of your memorable evening.
Pre-Registration (on or before February 1st, 2010): $75 per person
Registration (on or before April 9th, 2010): $85 per person
Registrations will not be accepted after April 9th, 2010
AZ H.E.A.T. Non-Paired, Secular Prom, Carnival(Please see the updated information)
This will be a SPECTACULAR and MEMORABLE event. In addition to music, dancing, photos and lots of yummy food, teens will get to play Carnival games, win prizes, enjoy fun concessions and the Prom location will be wonderfully decorated to fit the theme :-) We’ve also worked hard to keep this event affordably priced, so that *all* can attend! This truly is a “the more, the merrier” event, so we invite you to share this information with your friends and homeschool groups!
- The AZ H.E.A.T. Prom is all about enjoying the *experience* and students are encouraged to come as they feel comfortable–individually, with a friend, in groups, or with an official date. There are no expectations in either direction.
- Dancing will be available for those who enjoy it but there will also be LOTS of additional FUN that will entertain all of the teens … dancers and non-dancers alike so no one is bored or left out
- To assure that all of the teens attending get to know one another and are encouraged to make new friends, we’ll have a teen “Greeting Committee”. Each teen will receive a name tag and will be introduced to other teens attending the Prom. We’ll also have some ice breaker *fun* in place to help everyone get acquainted and make new friends.
- Teens who are taking college classes in lieu of homeschooling are most definitely invited.
- Some parents will chaperone and a few will help out with games/concession stands. Due to space limitations, the Prom area will be reserved for the teens only. However, a space is set up for parents to wait and they will be very welcome to take a peek inside the Prom rooms throughout the evening.
- We have a “no discrimination” policy and want to welcome everyone, equally, to enjoy the AZ H.E.A.T. Prom. We also respect everyone’s differences and this is the reason that we have chosen to place the focus of our Prom event on the common denominator of “Friendship and Fun”. Our only criteria in attending the AZ H.E.A.T. Prom is that each teen treat their fellows with respect and kindness!
PROM EVENT DETAILS:
WHAT: AZ H.E.A.T. Non-Paired, Secular Prom
WHEN: Saturday, May 1st, 2010
TIME: 7:00PM to 10:45PM
AGES: 15 and up. Mature 14 year olds welcome on a first come basis.
WHERE: 91st Avenue, between Northern and Olive (FOR SECURITY REASONS, the exact address and directions will be sent to everyone attending the Prom; upon receipt of ticket payment)
PRICING: Early Bird Registration until February 15th – $35.00 per person,
$10 discount for one guest or second teen from same family.
SAVE AN ADDITIONAL $5.00 off of the Early Bird price, per person, by purchasing tickets before January 31st, 2010.
Ticket cost after February 15th: $40. per person, $10 discount for one guest or second teen from same family.
Please send an email to Coordinators Tamara Hartley Hunt at:email@example.com or Wendy at: firstname.lastname@example.org
for details on dress code, ticket purchasing and further questions.
More info on Home Education:
Holly Craw Home Education Services Transcript Preparation services, customized workshops for your group at your location (Including Transcript and College Prep Workshops)
Holly Craw Home Education Services Facebook Page Become a Fan!
If you would like to receive homeschooling updates as I post them, please subscribe using the RSS feed feature. You will receive one email when new articles are posted with the headlines. I would love to hear your comments, suggestions or questions in the comment portion below, or email me.
Read more articles by this author.