Recent attempts to abduct middle-school age children in Bucks County remind parents that keeping kids safe from child predators should always be at the forefront of our minds. But there are many things kids can do to help protect themselves.
According to the KidSave.com website, here are some ways kids can help protect themselves from abduction:
- Always tell your parents where you are going and who you are with.
- Never answer the door if alone.
- Do not invite anyone in the house without the permission of a parent or babysitter.
- NEVER get into anyone’s car without permission.
- Don’t tell anyone on the phone that your parents are not home. Instead tell them that your parents can’t come to the phone and take a message.
- Don’t go to restrooms in out-of-the-way places without a trusted adult.
- Don’t take short cuts. Always use well-traveled streets.
- Never go to playgrounds or movies alone.
- Go to the nearest cashier if lost or separated from a parent in a store or mall.
- Do not take candy or other gifts from strangers without asking a parent first.
- Never hitch-hike.
- Stay away from isolated areas or abandoned buildings.
- If you do not know the driver of a car that slows down or stops near you. Run home, to the police department or to a public place where there are people. Do not run and hide.
- If an adult approaches to ask for directions, step back, tell them you don’t know and walk away. Adults should ask other adults for directions.
- If forced toward a building or car, scream “help”, scatter belongings and fight.
- No one has the right to touch any part of your body that a bathing suit would cover.
- If someone touches you in a way that feels uncomfortable, tell them in a loud voice that it is your body and they don’t have the right to touch you, even if it is a relative or friend. Tell an adult you can trust and keep telling until someone believes you.
- If you see someone unusual hanging around a schoolyard or a park, tell your parents.
- Tell a parent about anyone who exposes themselves to you.
- Don’t believe any adult who asks you to keep a secret from your parents.
- ways parents can help protect kids from child abduction
- more on the recent child predator attempts at abduction in Bucks County