It’s easy enough to be active during Oklahoma’s warmer months. But when OKC has a cold snap like this one, many people retreat inside to the couch. There are myriad ways to stay active when winter weather forces you indoors.
- Hit the mall. Oklahoma City boasts numerous indoor shopping malls. Most buildings open before the stores, so you can go early and walk the empty corridors. Call first to find out which entrance(s) will be open.
- Try exergaming. If you have a Wii or Xbox gaming systems, the newest trend in getting fit is exergaming using one of the many interactive fitness games now available. Some offer more benefits than others, so try a few and find one you like. This is a great way to get friends, kids, or your spouse or partner moving, too.
- Dance, dance, dance. Put on some music that makes you feel good and dance. You may feel silly at first, but it’s a great way to burn off steam. And kids love seeing their otherwise buttoned-up parents busting a move.
- Clean house. Now is the perfect time to do a deep-down cleaning in your house. Anyone who has lugged a vacuum cleaner around knows that it takes some effort. Get the family involved or call in a favor from a friend. Not only will the job get done faster, but everyone will benefit from the activity.
- Pick up a new (or previously played) sport. Always wanted to try rock climbing? Or maybe you played soccer when you were a kid. Oklahoma City has several rock climbing facilities and indoor soccer leagues (such as Hat Trick).
- Try bowling, skating, bouncing, or even dodgeball. Been a while since you went bowling? Dust off your shoes and ball and give it a go. Oklahoma City offers numerous bowling centers, skating rinks, several bouncing centers, and even dodgeball facilities. (There’s also one in Del City.)
- Go to the gym. Dig out your membership card and go spend some time on the elliptical trainer, the treadmill, the stair climber, or the bike. Pump some iron while your at it. Just work up a sweat.
Next week: Resolve to move every day and How to pick a gym that’s right for you
To view other OKC Healthy Living articles, click here.
For more info: Healthy tips to stay active in winter