In every relationship there are red flags. It is often best to deal with them rather then ignore them. But when the Sanford’s were about to marry and John balked at the fidelity clause — that would have given most women a cause to pause. He didn’t want to promise fidelity!
But Jenny Sanford explains it away in her Barbara Walters interview to air on Friday’s 20/20. Apparently in her memoir “Staying True” she rationalizes that they were young. And what she calls his frugality is really the attitude of a man who makes Scrooge look like a philanthropist. There was the gift of half a bicycle and then a diamond necklace he teased her with and she had to return it — or did she?
Jenny Sanford reminds me suddenly of our older aunts whom we call Martyr Della Rosa. They are the long suffering ones and yet they go on — sighing and complaining. Fortunately that’s not the case for Jenny Sanford.
But during that marriage, apparently no one ever taught her that if you can train a seal you can train a husband — to be loving and giving as you give love in return — as I noted in an earlier group of interviews. At last, here’s how to train your husband,
As for her husband’s trips to relax because he was stressed — no comment. Lies in love, marriage, and the Sanford scandal
Finally she has said, “Enough” and what has emerged is a painful picture of a marriage or an arrangment that seemed quite loveless. There are children, but I wonder what happened to the family joy. Staying True’ by Jenny Sanford (LA Times)
- Sanford Argentine addiction: Maria Belen Chapur
- Infidelity: two women hurt, Jenny Sanford and Maria Belen Chapur
- Infidelity overwhelms: Jenny Sanford moves on, moves out
- Scandal’s snare: the children of Jenny Sanford and Maria Belen Chapur
- Mark Sanford: the lure of long-distance love
- Lies in love, marriage, and the Sanford scandal
- Love triangle: as Gov. and Jenny Sanford talk of reconcilliation, Maria Belen Chapur talks of pain
To receive all my columns sign up for an RSS feed or subscribe. RSS Subscribe
Include other special offers from aerochug.com
Copyright 2010 Rita Watson/ All Rights Reserved