Related cocktail articles:
- The Momtini: She’s exhausted
- A Dirty Martini: She keeps your Secrets
- Screwdriver. You know you want it!
Sunday, February 14th, 2010 is Valentine’s Day. If it crept up on you, and you are looking to make your loved one a tender, sweet, luxuriously delicious meal, take a little help from your friendly Long Island grocery stores.
Long Island has it all when it comes to food stores.
From pricey specialty stores such as Graces, Citarella’s and Christina’s Epicure to smaller, but comforting neighborhood digs such as North Shore Farms, Southdown Markets, or your local IGA store.
Here are a few of the big box grocery store Valentine’s Day specials to get your homemade love-menu started with a delicious and special assortment of foods. If you are inclined, and you have a favorite store to mention, please take this Long Island Survey.
Valentine’s Day Menu
An Assortment of Menu Items
(available thru 2/14/10: all subject to availability)
- Single, Long Stem $3.99 Waldbaum’s
- 1 Dozen with filler: $17.98 Waldbaum’s
- 2 Dozen with filler: $19.99 Whole Foods
- 10 Long Stem Tulips: $8.99 King Kullen
- 3 Valentine’s Day Balloons: 3 for $10 Stop & Shop
- Heart Shaped Cheese Platter: $5.99 lb. at Uncle Giuseppe’s
- Shrimp for Shrimp Cocktail (frozen): $5.99 Waldbaum’s
- Heart Shaped Ravioli- Cheese: $8.99 for 8 oz. Wild By Nature
- Heart Shaped Lobster Ravioli: $8.99 Uncle Giuseppe’s
- Pasta Sauce: 16 oz. $4.99 Wild By Nature
- Organic French: $1.79 Whole Foods
- Prime Porterhouse Steaks: $8.99 per pound Fairway, Plainview
- Fresh Lobster- 2-3 lbs. $6.99 per pound, Fairway Plainview
- Asparagus: $1.88 Stop & Shop
- Beets: Organic, loose: 2 lbs for $5.00 Wild By Nature
- Berries (Blueberries, Blackberries, Strawberries) 2 pints, mix and match $5.00 Stop & Shop
- Mini Heart Shaped Linzer Tortes: $4.99 per pound Wild By Nature
- Mini Heart Shaped Chocolate Mousse (each) $2.49 Fairway
- Assorted Turkey Hill Ice Cream 48 oz. $2.49 ShopRite
Cava in Love, a sparkling cocktail
- 1 bottle of Cava (Traditional Spanish Sparkling Wine such as Casa Doro’s brand. Find it at Bottles and Cases, $8.98 Huntington, NY)
- 2 tsp. Cassis Liqueur (Mathilde, a French brand or Framboise) per glass
- Fresh Raspberries or Strawberries
In a champagne flute or glass, pour Cassis (or Framboise) liqueur into bottom of glass. Add 1 berry. Pour Cava directly over Cassis. Serve.
Note: Please drink responsibly.
Help Support Your Local Grocery Stores by taking this Survey!!
Be the 50th survey taker below and win a prize from the Long Island Grocery Examiner!
Take this survey: “Long Island Favorites”
Name and promote your favorite Long Island Food Stores!
Would you like to be the FIRST to see recipes and other great grocery info?
SUBSCRIBE, spam-free (I promise!)
next to the Long Island Grocery Examiner profile picture above. Yup, that’s me!
Do you you have a new product you would like to share? Please COMMENT BELOW at the very end of this article and be sure to check for helpful Slide Shows.
I’ve written about some other helpful Long Island Resources:
- listings of Long Island Grocery Stores, including specialty shops and those that deliver
- listings of where to purchase Prime Dry Age Meats on Long Island
- listings of where to purchase & how to pick a lobster ( + other seafood) on Long Island
- listings of Grocery 101: Basic Staples Lists
- listings of Grocery 101: Essential Store able Groceries for Emergency Weather Conditions
Some other articles either from me or other Examiners:
- How to celebrate Valentine’s Day on Long Island
- Long Island Valentine’s Day dinner spots that are affordable
- Tour Long Island vineyards for Valentine’s Day