Sliding into a pair of denim jeans that zip up and hold you in the right places, make your bottom look almost as perky as they did in your twenties, and feel as comfortable as your favorite sweat pants can be a dream come true for plus size divas in Plano. This dream is not a just a fantasy that is pondered by forlorn fashionable ladies lugging sky high piles of jeans into dressing rooms, only to leave empty handed and defeated. No, alas your dream of finding your very own stylish and flattering plus size jeans will be realized. The Plano Plus Diva will tell you where to go, what to do, and how to make your denim dreams come true.
• Measure your waist, inseam, and hips at the widest part. Have a good friend do this for you. Do not fudge the numbers, be realistic about what the measuring tape shows. Bring the measurements and measuring tape with you to the stores.
• Navigate through the myriad of styles available. Today the styles, types of finishes, and lengths available are overwhelming. If your dream is to have a pair that will take you from the office to a casual dinner, look for a dark wash. If your denim desires are something on the more trendy and youthful side, try the distressed styles in a skinny leg cut. Yes, plus ladies, you may wear the skinny cut jeans, but balance the proportion with a loose peasant blouse or hip length tunic.
Denim dream: “I want my thighs to look thinner and legs to look longer.”
What to look for: This is not a pipe dream ladies. A straight cut jean with a dark wash or black denim will do the visual trick. Dark wash on the sides of the legs with some fading in the center of the leg also has the same effect. Slash pockets on the hips are verboden. Slash pockets visually widen the hip area. Darker wash on the sides of legs visually minimize the width of thighs and hips.
Where to get them: Coldwater Creek at Preston Park Village, Plano Texas 972.596.5940
Sizes available in up to 24 Long in most styles.
Denim dream: “I want to look curvy, yet in proportion.”
What to look for: Boot cut with slight flare and long length.
Where to get them: Kohls Lee® Slender Secret™ Boot-Cut Jeans
Kohls locations: Plano East 972.309.0080, Plano North 214.495-0131, Plano West 972.309.0004
Denim dream: I am a teen and I want to find trendy junior style jeans in size 16 and up.”
What to look for: Distressed and embellished jeans are haute to trot right now.
Where to get them: Avenue in Plano 972.380.5132
Note: Not all styles and colors are carried in the stores so call ahead to make sure your favorite style is available.
Torrid online store
Denim dream: “I want to find jeans in extended sizes.”
What to look for: Heavier denim fabric in 2% Lycra to keep shape. Lovely ladies over 4X look great in a slight boot cut style.
Where to go: JC Penny for St. John’s Bay® Classic Jeans-Denim Washes
Did Plano divas know that JC Penny carries extended sizes? Peruse the website, then call the store ahead to see what is available. JC Penny now carries 4X to 5X and up to size 34. Styles are limited, so call ahead.
Denim dream: “I am petite as well as plus size.”
What to look for: Look for styles that will not overwhelm a petite frame. Straight or slight boot cuts or skinny jeans are best for this figure type. To visually lengthen your body, wear similar color tops in a v-neck. A navy blue v-neck over dark wash straight cut jeans will visually add inches in height to your frame. Do not forget to wear shoes with a heel. In the plus diva world heels are appropriate for almost every occasion!
Where to go: Lane Bryant Zipper embellished slim leg jean Available in Petite & Tall
Collin Creek Mall Lane Bryant 972.423.503, Coit Road location 972.248.1612
• Once you have decided on the style and where to shop, pull out the measuring tape and your measurements. A size 14 in one brand may measure the same as a size 16 in another brand, so it is pertinent to measure pairs of jeans one size up as well as a size down. Don’t be alarmed if you are trying on 3 or more different sizes, this is normal for most plus size ladies.
• Check for leg length, pocket position, and proper proportions. If the jeans have 2% or more Lycra in them, there will be slight shrinkage in length as well as width. If heels will be worn with the jeans, make sure there are 2 or more inches in additional length. It is easier to have jeans hemmed than to have hems let out. Having a longer length also elongates the legs visually. Jeans that are too short can make legs look shorter. Overly large pockets as well as too small pockets make the back side look wider visually. Pocket size should be in proportion to the size of the jeans. Also make sure the back pockets are centered. If pockets are too low in the back, it makes your derriere look like it is also low.
• If a style works, buy more than one pair. Mothers have been doing this for years, luscious divas. We should follow suit or have nightmarish regrets in a few months.
• Care for your treasured find. Wash your dreamy denim in cold water and use a small amount of detergent made for dark washes. The cost of the detergent is worth investing in when you see less fading. Line dry your jeans if possible, and then put them in the dryer for a short period of time (10-15 minutes) to loosen any wrinkles. Your denim will look brand new for many months. What to buy: Cheer for Darks
Coming soon: Weekly reviews of stores in Plano and surrounding cities that carry plus size clothing and accessories. Hours of operation, directions, price points, and quality of service will be covered so that Plano plus ladies can find the best plus size garments in our beautiful city. Plano Plus Diva will be reviewing a store near you, so tune in!