Nine horses have been entered in The Holy Bull Stakes which will be run on Saturday at Gulfstream Park. The Holy Bull is a Grade III stakes race contested at a distance of one mile and it is one of the early prep races for the Kentucky Derby. You can bet this race at Paducah’s Bluegrass Downs.
1. Thank U Philippe has won just once in eight starts. At sprint distances he was a closer. But his last four races have been at one mile or more and he has raced more as a stalker. He ran the best speed figure of his career in his last outing, a 97. But the two other times he posted a figure better than 90 he regressed 6-8 points in his next race.
2. Homeboykris has won two of four starts. Back in October he posted a speed figure of 100 at one mile but he regressed to an 80 in his next race which was at 1 1/8 miles. Two starts back he beat Thank U Philippe at six furlongs. He has not raced since November 28 but he had a sharp workout on January 19 (13th of 64).
3. Litigation Risk has won one of three starts. He has not raced at one mile but posted a 95 speed figure at seven furlongs. He regressed to an 82 in his last race which was on a sloppy track at 1 1/16 miles.
4. Piscitelli has just one victory in five starts. He has just one speed figure over 90. The rest are between 86 and 89. He finished fifth in the Breeders’ Futurity and fourth in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile.
5. William’s Kitten has two wins in seven starts. He was eighth in the Breeder’s Cup Juvenile. He has not raced since November 28 but he ran the fastest of 64 horses who worked four furlongs on January 19. He improved in both of his last two races going as his speed figure went from 81 to 88 to 94. He is a closer so you might think a mile would be too short for him but one of his victories came at one mile.
6. Winslow Homer ran an eye-popping race his last time out as he posted a 106 speed figure at one mile on a muddy race track while winning by 12 lengths. He has raced three times posting figures of 80-94-106 so he has improved with each start, winning his last two. He has not raced since November 20th and his most recent work was very slow. He did have bullet works on December 23 and January 1.
7. Wild LIme has two wins in four starts. But his highest speed figure is 88 and the only time he ran farther than six furlongs he lost by 19 3/4 lengths.
8. Aikenite has one win in four starts. He is a closer and he has not run since finishing fifth in the breeders’ Cup Juvenile on November 7 but he shows a bullet workout on January 17. He has been consistent as his last three speed figures have been between 90 and 93. But his only victory came in his first race at six furlongs. His best race was a second place finish in the Breeders’ Futurity last October at Keeneland.
9. Jackson Bend appears to be the likely winner with five consecutive wins and speed figures between 95 and 106 in his last five races. A stalker who lays just off the pace, he hasn’t raced since October 17. Since then he has switched trainers from Stanley Gold to Nick Zito and changed jockeys from Jesus Sanchez to Jeremy Rose. He had bullet workouts on January 9 and January 16 and looks like the one to beat.
Free Past Performances