Corporate greed and self-interested motives are forces that are contributing to a moral behavior and trust crisis in organizations today. Society should encourage leaders and followers to believe that organizations can regain the trust and confidence of people by rebuilding communities through servant leadership. Servant leadership was developed by Robert Greenleaf as a model for leaders to be selfless and to encourage serving others first. The business firm in the 21st century can generate profit and accumulate wealth and also become a moral community to help shape human character and behavior. The question remains as to how to accomplish this difficult task and where to begin.
Below are five suggestions to begin to regain the trust and confidence of employees:
- Stop only considering the bottom-line. The bottom-line is vital, but it is your people that produce the results that impact the bottom-line. Invest your time in developing your employees.
- Remember why you are in business. It is easy to get lost in the busy work, the numbers, and the greed. Remember where you came from and why you go to work every day.
- Serve the people you lead before your own self-interests. If you serve others first, you will be more respected and trusted.
- Do not wait for someone else to make the first move to positively change the culture. Stand up for what you believe in and act in accordance to your values. Get involved with the community and encourage employees to do the same.
- Communicate and relate to one another. Our society relies on avoiding communication by texting and emailing. Communication is what ties employees to the organizational goals. Encourage self expression.
These tips will help to create a servant leader culture, which can help to regain trust and confidence in the business system. Our society stands in dire need of servant leadership, which is vitally important to change the self-serving values that are destroying the concept of community in our society.
Despite the constant negative news, there are many Fort Wayne businesses that have adopted servant leadership within their culture. There are local churches participating in missionary trips, not-for-profit organizations organizing events to positively impact the lives of people, and corporations donating funds to the Haiti crisis. Thank you to these businesses and others that understand the value of serving the community and building future generations of leaders.
For more information on servant leadership, visit http://www.greenleaf.org/index.html