Valentine’s Day is coming up fast, and another Valentine Barbie is out on Nashville store shelves. This list is of Valentine’s Barbie dolls sold from 1978 to 1999 and is made up of dolls which were predominantly available in grocery stores and convenience stores. As reported in Valentine’s Barbie dolls – past and present: a series on Valentine Barbies, I consider the Kissing Barbie doll from 1978 to be the first Barbie doll made with a Valentine’s theme, so I am starting this list with her.
The dates given are usually the dates printed on the boxes. See the slideshow below or click on the links to see photos of the dolls.
Valentine Day Barbie Dolls from 1978 to 1999
- Kissing Barbie (1978) – “The doll who kisses.” Long pink gown. Press button on back and Barbie purses lips, makes kissing sound. Mattel model #2597 W/Blond
- Loving You Barbie (1983) – Red velvet top with sweetheart neckline, puffy net sleeves with red hearts matched her long skirt. W/Blond
- Loving You Delux Gift Set
- Pretty Hearts Barbie (1991) – wears a short dress in the same fabric and style as Loving You. W/Blond
- Friendship Barbie (1992 ) – (same as Pretty Hearts)
- With Love Barbie (1991) – Pink dress with red hearts. W/Blond
- Red Romance Barbie (1992) – Short pale pink ruffled dress with red trim. W/Blond
- Secret Hearts Barbie (1992) – White gown with hearts that “magically appear.” W/Blond
- Secret Hearts Barbie/Ken Gift Set
Photo of Pretty Hearts Japanese and U.S. version © Kathryn Darden
- B Mine Barbie (1993) – Red dress with candy heart design. W/Blond.
- Valentine Barbie/Frame 4 You (1994) – White dress with red ruffles and red hearts. W/Blond
- Queen of Hearts (1994) – Bob Mackie designer doll in dramatinc red sequined gown. W/Brunette
- Pretty Hearts Barbie (1995) – Blond Barbie in short pink skirt and white top with pink hearts, Teresa in blue. Also Blond Japanese version with closed mouth “Mackie” face.
- Valentine Barbie (1995) – White dress with red polka dots, red bodice. W/Blond
- Valentine Sweetheart Barbie (1995) – white dress with red hearts and red lace up bodice. W/Blond
Photo of B Mine & Valentine Barbie © Kathryn E. Darden
- Valentine Fun Barbie (1996) – White short sleeve shirt heart in the middle, white skirt with red and white hearts and two large white pocket sized hearts. Matching pink hat and plastic heart shaped purse. W/Blond
- Valentine Barbie (1997) – Pink dress covered with candy heart design. W/Blond AA
- Sweetheart Barbie (1997) – Redhead and blond come in hot pink “velvet” dress; Brunette in lime green. Redhead is slightly harder to find. Doll wears heart necklace.
- Make A Valentine Barbie (1998) – Shiny pink shirt with gold buttons on the front, matching skirt with pink, yellow and white plaid design. W/Blond
- XXXOOO Barbie – (1999) – Sparkling silver and red dress. W/Blond
Special thanks to Marty McClain for her help with this list.
Continued in Part 3: Valentine’s Day Barbie dolls from 2000 to present
For more info:
Part I: Valentine’s Barbie dolls – past and present: a series on Valentine Barbies
Part III: Valentine’s Day Barbie dolls from 2000 to present (with slideshow of Valentine Barbies)
Happy New Year, Barbie! A look at New Year-themed Barbies from the past decade (slideshow)
Christmas Barbie dolls and holiday Barbies, past and present
Trick or treat? Halloween Barbie dolls from 1963 to present (with Barbie Halloween slideshow)
Fashion Doll Discussion Group
Doll Collecting 101: Holiday Dolls
Subscribe to get future doll collecting news and updates and join the Doll Collector page on Facebook!