Cypress Mountain is the location for the snowboard, snowboard halfpipe and freestyle skiing competitions of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. The venue is located in Cypress Provincial Park, a 30 minute drive from downtown Vancouver and 31 kilometers from the Olympic Village.
Freestyle skiing includes aerials, moguls and ski cross. The moguls competition involves a run down a heavily moguled course with two jumps. The Olympic format includes a one-run elimination followed by a one-run final. Olympic aerials includes a two-jump qualification round followed by a two-jump final. Ski cross involves racing down a steep, tight, winding course filled with jumps, berms and other features.
Snowboard competitions include the halfpipe, parallel giant slalom and snowboard cross. The halfpipe takes place in a half-cylindrical-shaped course and includes acrobatic and aerial tricks. Parallel giant slalom features head-to-head races on a challenging course with jumps and obstacles. Snowboard cross is one of the fastest and exciting events in snowboarding.
Two temporary stadiums have been constructed specifically for Winter Olympics spectators. The seating capacities are:
- Freestyle skiing – 12,000
- Snowboard – 12,000
- Snowboard halfpipe – 8,000
Travelers interested in attending any of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic competitions at Cypress Mountain can base their reservations on the following event schedule:
- February 13, 2010 – Ladies’
- February 14, 2010 – Men’s
- February 15, 2010 – Men’s
- February 16, 2010 – Ladies’
- February 17, 2010 – Men’s
- February 18, 2010 – Ladies’
- February 20, 2010 – Ladies’
- February 22, 2010 – Men’s
- February 24, 2010 – Ladies’ finals
- February 25, 2010 – Men’s finals
- February 21, 2010 – Men’s
- February 23, 2010 – Ladies’
Parallel Giant Slalom
- February 26, 2010 – Ladies’
- February 27, 2010 – Men’s
The alpine and nordic ski areas of Cypress Mountain are closed to the public from February 1 through March 8, 2010 for the Olympic Games preparations, competitions and wrap up.
Other Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Venues & Schedules:
- Canada Hockey Place: Ice hockey
- Pacific Coliseum: figure skating and short track speed skating
- Richmond Olympic Oval: speed skating
- Vancouver Olympic Centre: curling
- Whistler Sliding Center: bobsled, luge and skeleton
- Whistler Olympic Park: Nordic events – ski jumping and cross-country skiing
For more info: Cypress Mountain