As the days grow colder, we seek warming and comfort foods that really stick to the ribs. Here is an interesting recipe for Lamb and Coconut Milk stew, the perfect dish for the winter. The concept of stews were brought over to India by the British, during their occupation. This dish was adopted by the Indians, and was enhanced with the addition of spices and Indian flavorings. Today, stews are a popular feature in India, especially among the Anglo-Indian communities.
This recipe for Lamb and Coconut Milk Stew is influenced by the Southern part of India, which explains the addition of coconut milk to the recipe:
- 1 pound Stewing Lamb, Lamb leg or shoulder
- ¼ cup garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 3 medium bay leaves
- 4 small red potatoes
- 10 – 12 medium baby bella mushrooms
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 can coconut milk, 14oz can
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ cup cilantro, garnish
- Oil for frying
- Peel & finely chop garlic and ginger.
- Cut the small red potatoes and the baby bella mushrooms into quarters.
- Peel the carrot and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Cut the red pepper into 1 inch cubes.
- Wash, drain and pat dry the lamb and cut into 1 inch cubes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Dredge with all purpose flour and ensure each piece is thoroughly coated.
- Heat oil in a pan. Crackle the whole spices: Whole peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves and bay leaves.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic. Saute well.
- Add the lamb cubes and saute till the meat is seared.
- Add two cups of water, enough to cover the lamb. Bring to a boil, close the lid and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes.
- When the lamb is approximately half done, add in the potatoes and carrots. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the red bell peppers and the mushrooms. Top with a can of coconut milk. Mix well and cover with lid and keep simmering for another 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle with garam masala powder. Continue to cook till the lamb and vegetables are done.
- Garnished with cilantro leaves. Serve hot with basmati rice or crusty french bread.
Video recipe for Lamb & Coconut Milk Stew:
Check out the seasonal cookbook featuring 300 uniquely Examiner recipes to warm you up this winter.
- Apps and sides
- Soups & Salads
- Pro recipes
- Specialty diets