Do you know a TriCities woman who is the best artist you know, the best scientist, or the best young athlete? A woman who runs the most progressive and successful business you can imagine? A woman who runs a department in her workplace with particular insight and skill? A young woman who is already achieving great things?
IIf you know a TriCities woman who is the best at whatever she does, honour her achievements with a nomination for the YWCA Vancouver Women of Distinction Awards.
The Vancouver Women of Distinction Awards “began in 1984 to honour, encourage and recognize women whose outstanding activities and achievements contribute to the health and future of the community. Since then, YWCA Vancouver has honoured over 200 deserving women and workplaces.”
One of the most prestigious awards a woman can receive, the Women of Distinction Awards are offered across the following categories:
- Arts, Culture & Design (sponsored by TD Waterhouse)
- Business & the Professions (sponsored by BC Hydro)
- Community Building (sponsored by Industrial Alliance Pacific)
- Education, Training & Development (sponsored by Port Metro Vancouver)
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation (sponsored by Vancouver Foundation)
- Health & Active Living (sponsored by Teck Resources Limited)
- Non-Profit & Public Service (sponsored by BC Housing)
- Technology, Science & Industry (sponsored by Goldcorp Inc.)
- Young Woman of Distinction
To qualify, the nominator must demonstrate that the nominee is:
- A leader and role model
- Breaking new ground or old barriers
- Participating actively as a volunteer
- Guiding, supporting and encouraging the development of others
- Showing vision, creativity and initiative
- Making a sustained commitment and significant difference
- Being respected by her community for her contributions
The YWCA Women of Distinction Awards also honour businesses and organizations that support the diverse needs of employees through the Innovative Workplace Award. The nominator must show that the nominee:
- Is a leader and role model in workplace practices
- Is progressive and responsive to employee needs, including work/life balance
- Supports employee volunteerism and community initiatives
- Promotes healthy lifestyles for employees
- Provides fair compensation
- Fosters professional development and mentorship
- Supports the advancement and success of women
To nominate a TriCities woman or business you know (or a non-TriCities woman, but she must live and work in Metro Vancouver), visit the YWCA website and download a nomination form. For more information, call 604-895-5768.
The deadline for nominations is March 15, 2010.
YWCA, women of distinction, awards for women, business awards, TriCities, Vancouver